Sunday, August 3, 2014

Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Since I really love Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, I thought I'd share my review of the first book I read by her.


Eleanor & Park coverEleanor & Park
by Rainbow Rowell
February 26, 2013
328 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor
... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.


Review

It was hard for me to get into this book and I don't know why. I know a lot of readers loved this book but while I did enjoy it, I didn't love it. I felt like something was missing and I couldn't really connect to the whole story. Although, I did feel it was very real and raw. I wouldn't necessarily say this was a fun read (considering all the negative aspects to the life of a sixteen year old) but it definitely had its own share of warm and fuzzy parts!

For me, it was easy to relate to Park. He was probably the only person I could relate to. A pretty regular guy with a regular family leading a regular teenage life. I like that he was shy to begin with but he loved with his whole heart, with his whole being. Eleanor, on the other hand, had such a complicated relationship with her family and in my opinion, with the world. It just reminds me that families like hers, exist in the world. While I felt like some of the choices she made were too rash,
I really ached for her. She shouldn't have to experience what she did :( Thankfully she had Park. She totally deserves him! It was cute to see them together and watch them grow with each other.

 The ending was very sweet but I felt it lacked closure. For me, a lot of things were left unexplained. Maybe it's better that way? So we can use our own imagination to find our own version of happily ever after for Eleanor and Park and their families?

6 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with this book. Sometimes I think about it and I love it, but then sometimes I think about it and I'm not that big of a fan. I feel like I wanted more closure too, but that's why I have issues with. I feel like they were supposed to have this epic love story that's different, but in the end it's kind of like every teenage love story. (Not the context but the relationship itself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I know what you mean! I can see why people love it so much but at the same time it just wasn't the best for me :(

      Delete
  2. I kind of felt that way about another one of her books that everyone loved, I think I would feel the same way about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honest review! I have had this on my tbr for forever and I keep pushing it back for some reason. I'm wondering I will feel the same as you??
    Wonderful review =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It wasn't all that bad. You should read it and we can discuss!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...