Friday, August 22, 2014

Review: Here for the Cake by Emily Poule

I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book from The Page Girls a few weeks ago. I recently finished it so I thought I'd share my thoughts :)


Here for the Cake cover
Here for the Cake
by Emily Poule
March 14, 2014
256 pages
 

Goodreads Summary:
"Something should happen: a thunderbolt should erupt, a car should crash, a bell should ring. There should be a soundtrack—some horrible, frightening sound to accompany the news of your ex-boyfriend marrying one of your best friends from high school. Especially when you're still in love with him."

No, of course she wasn't going. Are you insane? For 29-year-old academic Mina Joseph, going to Luke's destination wedding to the venomous Ella Hutchinson would be the ultimate act of lunacy. It would be much safer to stay in her small studio in Boston so she could stalk the Facebook pages of the bride, groom, and every other guest in attendance before falling asleep in a box of tears and Wheat Thins.

But Luke's best man, the insufferably charming Benjamin Fogarty, has different plans for Mina. Both desperate to break up the mismatched couple before they say their "I do’s” and convinced that Luke is still in love with Mina (though he can’t figure out why), Ben offers her a plane ticket and a wad of cash to come out of hiding to seduce the groom.

Armed with a new wardrobe, devious friends, and copious amounts of tequila, Mina has five days to rekindle her love with Luke, expose Ella for the certifiable psychopath that she is, and at all costs, avoid having sex with the best man, regardless of how hot it could be.


Review


I very much enjoyed this book. It was hilarious at times and steamy in others. The random switching between the POVs was odd at first but it didn't bother me and I got used to it quickly. Some parts of the story could be shorter but it didn't take away from the overall story. I think the characters were what really sold me.

I have nothing but love for Mina. I loved watching her transformation from geeky nerd to sexy seductress. I felt extremely unjust for her. Luke definitely doesn't deserve her or even the memories of her. Seeing Mina realize her potential and stop wasting her time and energy on him was slow to come but satisfying when it did.


Next, I have nothing but hate dislike for Luke. He was a douche who couldn't decide what he wanted which caused heartache for everyone around him. All in all he was a total d bag. That's all I want to say about him because guys like him aren't worth anybody's time.

Lastly, I feel a little bit of both love and hate for Ben. He was a tortured soul. I admired how much he cared for Luke but when it was revealed what he did in the past, told Luke to break up with Mina, I couldn't help but feel conflicted. He didn't think before he spoke and that led to every heartbreaking moment in the story. I guess the fact that he knew he made a mistake and was trying to make up for it makes him still lovable.

I loved seeing Mina and Ben together. Their chemistry was sizzling hot! It was off the charts without being overly descriptive. They were passionate but also sweet together.

While I didn't love the other characters, they added to the story. Even though Ella acted like a b**** to Mina and mostly everyone else, I don't fault her for it. Luke is the real a**hole here. Salma and Josie were adorable and supportive.
I'm really curious if Josie and Simon will turn out to be a real couple in the future :O I'd love to hear their stories.

If you're looking for a getaway (hello Costa Rica) and some mature (strong language and sexy times in this one) and fun people then Here for the Cake is the one for you :)

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like the perfect summer read with characters you love to hate and some adorable ones as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, as always Eileen! This sounds pretty fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one but it sounds really good. I like the sound of Mina and her transformation sounds really interesting. Ella being bitchy would bother me probably, but I can live with that. Great review, Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it definitely had interesting and bitchy parts :) Thank you for reading my review!!

      Delete
  4. I love a good funny, steamy read! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...